|Calendar | Classes | Instructional Oil Painting Packets | Tips & Bits | About Tony | Contact Tony|
Here you will find answers to some common questions asked by students as well as lots of information about painting, supplies and being an artist.
This section will constantly grow as questions and information comes available. Some answers are from researching the subjects, while other answers come from my own personal experiences and knowledge.
*(I'm not always "on the mark")
If you have any question you would like answered or have things to ad, please feel free to email me at: Info@painting-for-pleasure.com
(Click a Question for the Answer)
1. My painting isn't finished, how can I save my leftover oil paints to be used later?
2. How long before I can varnish my finished oil painting?
3. What's the difference between White Gesso and Magic or Liquid White?
4. Can acrylic paint be put over oil paint?
5. I love oil painting but have developed allergies to the solvents. Any suggestions?
6. What is transfer or graphite paper ? How or when is it used and where can I find it?
7. What is a "dry transfer" and when would I use it?
8. I've heard you mention the term "wet transfer". Can you explain what that is?
9. What is the difference in use of a soft haired brush and stiff bristle type brushes?
10. In class you told how you "reclaim" a canvas, can you explain?
11. What do I do with my dirty paint thinner after I'm done painting?
12. Is there any rule as to where the horizon line should go?
13. I painted a snowscene using white for my snow but it doesn't look right.
14. What's the difference between "reflections" and "shadows"?
15. My tree shapes look great but the overall color looks fake. Why?
16. What's a good way to keep track of the paintings that I do?
17. How do I sign my painting?
18. Where should I sign my painting?
19. How should I store my brushes when not painting?
20. As I squeeze out my paints, I sometimes get some oil coming from the tube. Why and what do I do with it?
21. What is the difference between "traditional" and "wet-on-wet" oil painting?
22. How do I open some stubborn paint tubes covers?
23. What does "Impasto" mean in reference to painting?
24. What is the name of the hand cleaner you use in your classes and where can I purchase it?
25. Tip #11 tells about "recycling" dirty paint thinner but why can't I just leave it in the can and cover it until next time you paint?
26. Some of the caps to my paint tubes have broken or cracked, why and what can I do to prevent the paint from drying in the tubes?
27. Why does it look dull where I touched up my painting on a blackened canvas? How can I "fix it"?
28. You've mentioned "black canvases", I've never seen one
in any store.
29. Why such a large price difference for the same color paint?
30. My two children both want the same painting. What to do?
31. How do I go about taking good pictures of my paintings?
32. What are oil paints made of?
33. What brushes should I use with oil paints?
34. At what height should I have my canvas when painting?
35. How do I decide what price to put on my paintings?
36. Why did my yellow sky turn green on a black canvas?
37. Is it better to mix paint with a knife or a brush?
38. I ran out of the White Painting Medium, can I make some?
39. What does it mean; single, double or triple primed canvas?
40. Is there a certain order to lay your paints on your palette?
41. What is "Soft White" and can it be purchased?
42. I was told not to ever paint on a canvas panel. Why not?
43. What can I do when a person I did a commissioned portrait for refuses to pay me or return the painting saying, "It's not a likeness".
44. Is there a "proper" way by which to hold your paint brush?
45. I want to paint a scene on my mailbox, can I use oils?
46. How many paintings do you paint in a years time?
47. Where do you get your inspirations for your paintings?
48. How can I make a pattern from a photograph?
49. Will you ever teach an "on location" painting workshop?
50. How do I clean the dust from my oil painting?
51. Why does my Burnt Sienna turns gummy and dry up so quickly?
52. My hand shakes, is there something I can use to steady it while painting?
53. What's the difference between medium and thinner?
54. How do I take a dent out of my canvas?
55. What are "Earth Colors"?
56. Why does one of my paintings have cracks all in it?
57. Is there a difference between Phthalo Blue and Thalo Blue?
58. Must I buy the exact brushes & paints used by TV artists?
59. Is there a faster drying brand of oil paints on the market?
60. What does NFS stand for on some exhibited paintings?
61. I've heard the term, "making mud"; what does it mean?
62. What does the term "complimentary color" mean?
63. What colors do I mix to make the color BROWN?
64. What is "glazing"?
65. What is "scumbling"?
66. I tried painting outdoors but I'm slow and the light changed very quickly. Any helpful tips?
67. Do you have any tips on learning to paint flowers?
68. Can you have more than one "center of interest" in a single painting?
69. I can't figure out what's wrong with my painting.
70. I had a complicated pattern to transfer onto my canvas that took a long time but when I lifted it off the canvas nothing was there. I used a new piece of transfer paper.
All original works by Tony, graphics and logo's are copyrighted property of Painting for Pleasure or their respective owners.
Duplication of any image, graphic, or logo from this site is strictly prohibited. ©2001-2015